Monday, January 18, 2016

Introducing...Broad Fitt!





Man, the anticipation was mad on Saturday night! Holy cow! It was a transfer weekend and because of changes in the mission (fewer missionaries), we expected them to cut down a team of our Elders.  I honestly thought there was no way I was staying, but  .....  I get to STAY!  We were jumping up and down, and hooting and hollering! So nice. And that might mean I actually could stay here for a while.  I'm hoping to see the summer time here. That relieving news might have been one of the best parts of my week. I felt a lot of anxiety from the possibility of leaving. It would have been just like my first area: right when things are getting real good, out I go! But luckily I am staying and the work goes on.  Things are still pointed towards a Baptismal Service next month with hopefully 4 total investigators receiving it that day. How great would be the joy!!

So this week was our busiest week thus far, not just in our area but the mission as well. We had quite a few teaching appointments, but nothing like most missionaries in Utah haha. I just received an email from someone I knew in the MTC who was coming to Korea with us but actually stayed in Orem to serve, and in the email he said that they are teaching about 25 lessons a week. That sounds absolutely insane to me. So they might be your two polar opposites of missionary work, but, seriously, I wouldn't want to be in ANY other place right now. It is just one of those things. Perfection. This place is perfect for me! Gosh I just get so happy talking about it. This seriously is the greatest thing ever.

I actually don't have a ton of details from this week, but it was awesome. Here is a small list:

1. A kind of random, well really random, guy showed up before church yesterday and he wanted to learn and he stayed for church as well. That is exactly what you would want to happen on a Sunday before church I guess, but it is not common here.

2. I can't remember if it was this week or not, but I know I haven't told this one: we were sticker boarding and these two old guys approached us and they were looking at the board (which I was holding) and then I saw one of them just like staring at my face with the goofiest look on his face. I had no clue what was going on, but then he started like whispering to his friend and then some more of their friends started filing over and at this point I was became very self-conscious and then they started pointing at me and saying something and they were getting way excited. I was freaked! To make it worse, none of us could understand the "Korean" they were speaking, but then all of the sudden I figured out that they weren't speaking Korean at all. They were saying a name, SO I listened harder and then it clicked: BRAD PITT! (haha) It sounded more like Broad Fitt. But I got it, and then the roar started. I think one of them asked where's Angelina?  SO I got the Brad Pitt comparison! Hahahahaha I don't think they know what they are talking about, but alright I will take it. Then the guy actually literally went and bought us coffee because he thought he had found Broad Fitt or something... I don't know. But it was a super funny experience.

3. We didn't spend like any money this entire week, so my meals literally were ramen and dumplings! I may have gained weight because of this. Maybe I don't look so much like Brad Pitt anymore.
 
4. The language is progressing well, but some days are better than others.  Sometimes I swear I understand 95% of every conversation and then next time nothing.  Super weird!  The good thing is I feel improvement all the time, especially in this new area!

Anyway, another fun week! And there was much success--maybe not Utah "success" but it sure was great.

Love you all!

Elder Jenkins
 
PS.  Thanks for the update Dad, GO BRONCOS!!!
 
Across the Street from our New Apartment!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment