Monday, September 28, 2015

I Love This Place!!!


Thanks for the Catch! What a great Family!

I'll try to be quick, but I feel like I constantly am doing wild and memorable things. I think the whole mission will be the craziest memory! What a wonderful week. I love this place with all of my heart already! 

My favorite parts of my past week seem to all come from Mission Conference. It was so so awesome. I loved it! Even though it had only been a week, I had missed Elder Fleming so much! It was way nice to see him.  We did a lot of training the first day, and there was a hilarious talent show that night. Because our house is so far away from the mission home, we got to stay in Gangnam that night. That place is legit! So the reason why I tell you this is because on our way to the Gangnam house, there was this college aged guy who was kind of looking at me funny (probably because I was also hauling a bed around--we call them a Yo but I have no clue what they are called in America--which might have grabbed his attention). So he pulls out his headphones, looks at me, and says "You look berry Handsome" Of course, I stood up and ran over to him and started speaking in English and Korean. He was Amazing! He seemed so ready to hear the gospel. He actually gave me his phone number before I even asked. It made me feel so good. The Lord's work is so great! 
The catchers mitt was a sign that I needed to play catch with them! Right?
But Saturday was by FAR my favorite day of my mission. The coolest day! My favorite part was our little scavenger hunt thing with the whole mission at the Olympic Park near our mission home.  What a cool place.  There are crazy statues and Olympic memorials all over the park and there were people and families playing everywhere. I actually met this super nice family that was playing around in the big field in the park. They pulled out baseball mitts, so I asked if I could have a quick catch with them! Haha and they let me! What a fun experience. So I’ve been in Korea two weeks and a little baseball catch actually spurred a great little discussion about the church! 
Sharing the gospel and how to throw a knuck!
I love these Korean people.  We basically just walked around and talked to people the rest of the day. Elder Fleming and I got to share all of our stories and it was so fun.

And very quickly, my last story. After the conference as we were taking our 3 hour subway ride home, I opened up my scriptures because I was sort of bored and I was also kind of frustrated with the work and our area. Many of the people at conference were sharing some sweet stories about their investigators, and it sounded so great and fun. Being in an area that does not have any investigators made me kind of sad and frustrated. So as I opened up to somewhere in Doctrine and Covenants, one of the first verses I read was the line "I will hasten my work in its time" and I was like "Okay, I need to learn patience." Well, I said a quick prayer and did some internal repenting, and literally like 5 minutes later, this little couple sits down by me and starts speaking English.  They got out their phones and looked up The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints after I introduced myself.  That was a quick answer to my prayers. Heck yea! And then right after we transferred to a bus, a whole Filipino family started talking to us and they seemed interested! YES!!!!!!! So we gave them our card with our contact information. Who knows what will actually happen. But in that moment, the Lord hastened his work for me. And it made me so happy. I love the Lord, and I love this work!
An early Hyundai--I think...
Also, we continue to work with our farmer.  He is a really interesting man and I know he feels something when we share our testimonies with him and try to teach him.  It might take a while, though; he has a bunch of potatoes to dig!
Digging or maybe Hitting potatoes!


I like this work too!


A couple more things:

  • I love Rice Burgers!!!  The food here is sooo legit!
  • I also love rice!  Just plain old rice!
  • There is a place here called Loterria and it is a ton like Wendy's!  Dope!
  • They have this Melon flavored soda that is legit, and their little .30 cent ice cream bars are so so good!
  • Everyday we ride the bus and there are TV screens everywhere, so it's possible I see a few funny clips and baseball highlights.  oops!
  • My Comp is Elder Anderson from NYC and lately from BYU.  He is totally chill and speaks mightily in great Korean...I think?
  • I've been picking up a lot of phrases and talking as much as I can to people.  It's so fun trying to speak to them!  I've been making a lot of contacts too.  Koreans are so nice!
Sorry everything is soo scattered. I don't have much time. 

I am sooo happy here.  The Lord just nailed it with this call.  This is my place and it's glorious!

Love you all!

Elder Jenkins


A few more random photos:
That's dirt Mom!

Potato Patch

Korea is just Beautiful!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great stories/testimony and pics. You can take the boy out of baseball, but you can't take......or something like that....

    ReplyDelete