Monday, November 9, 2015

Cold, Wet Week in Korea!


Me at the Provo Temple at the beginning of my mission

As usual, I don't have much time so this will be short. But I've been thinking about the last four months and I can't believe how blessed I am.  My first day at the MTC and how much I loved my time there, and now Korea! I admit I wasn't so sure about my call to this place, but it is simply the most perfect place for me and I love it sooo much.  Bring on the next 20 months!
Me at the Seoul Korea temple a few weeks ago


So, my companion and I definitely went to our Irish Band man's house this week and my companion played the guitar while I read a book (church approved).  Doesn't really sound like me does it?  Reading while music is in the works.  The mission is changing me drastically.

On Thursday we had splits and we taught a group of high school kids English. I was literally the only white person there! That felt super weird without my whitey comp, but we had a great time nonetheless. I was definitely looked to for my English speaking skills. I was overwhelmed by all of the questions. Just because I am white (and American) DOES NOT mean that I know every single thing about America!

The cool moment of the week came yesterday, which was a super gloomy day where not a lot was happening. We ran to a bus stop to get out of the rain and I was just kind of camping there, minding my own business (probably pouting about the weather a little bit), when some guy walks up to me and says in really good English, "I Love your temple." I was so shocked! We ended up getting on the same bus and I told him all about our church and temples--in Korean. So fun! We traded phone numbers, so hopefully something comes of it. This made me realize that the Lord truly is in all of our lives. His hand literally is everywhere, but it is our job to look for it! 
My Korean is getting sooo much better.  My ability to talk is improving immensely!  Hopefully I can keep improving.

It was a fun and wet week! I love and miss all of you! As always!

Elder Jenkins
Fun facts about this area--Gimpo
  • We ride the bus all the time.  The subway is about 30 minutes away and we don't ride it much.
  • We walk a ton.  I think we walked 3 miles yesterday, in a heavy rain.  We were WET!
  • We never knock doors.  Everyone lives in apartments and you need a code to get in, so we just walk around and talk to people on the street. We also talk to people on the bus.
Gimpo Ward extends farther west including several islands. Yes that's North Korea across the river



No comments:

Post a Comment