Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Frozen Korea!

This last week was nice. Nothing too crazy seemed to happen, although we did get snow and it may be some of the coldest weather I have ever been in. I loved it! Best of all: the heaters all broke down in the church, so 3 hours of freezing happened yesterday. That is actually a funny start to my first story.

Yesterday this investigator who we have been meeting for a little while attended church for the first time! Kind of an unfortunate day to attend (no heat), but he said he really liked it. We had planned on teaching him the Plan of Salvation during the hour of class, but because it was literally so cold that you could see your breath I had the bright idea of skipping out on that class period and going to a cafe where they had a working heater. Sound like 16 year old me? And, yup, e did just that. Rest assured, we didn't buy anything, we just needed some warmth! So as we met during church, in that cafe, we had a flipping crazy lesson. It was full of surprises and extremely hard questions, and it was so fun. My favorite part was when we asked him if he had been thinking about the message at all, and he told us that he had not only had pre-read the entire Plan of Salvation pamphlet, but that as he read it tears came to his eyes. Struck by the Spirit! Cool experience... just don't judge me for the location that is took place.

Another of my favorite things from this week: On Saturday, we met with this Less Active guy for the first time and just tried to get to know him a little bit. He told us about his conversion 15 years ago and the effect the church has had in his life. Then basically he told us that he didn't need the church anymore. "It's too hard to be Mormon" is what he said, "Too many rules." Whenever someone says that, I make fun of them and say "You only lived according to the standards for a few months! I have been doing this for 20 years!!!" When I say that, they stop trashing us and listen. That's when the fun begins!  회개하라!! So we talked to him for a while about the importance of keeping the commandments and how that can also bless others around us. He still kept fighting us though. Finally a thought came to my mind,that honestly made me just a little bit emotional as I delivered it to him. I told him, "You not keeping the commandments is not necessarily the thing that is the hardest for me to hear. Knowing the church is true, and knowing that God is real, and denying all of that is really hard for me to hear. Imagine how hard it would be for you if your beloved son who had accepted, loved and relied on you, suddenly left you and then threw away everything that you had done for him. I imagine that is so hard for God, the one that loves you more than ANYONE else." God does love us, and He is our Father. Please don't forget that, or throw that away.

No more time! Have a splendid week!

Elder Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment