Monday, February 13, 2017

Throwback Week!

Sending off Elder Choi 😢

This week was so fun. Let me give you a little rundown.

Because P-days are quite a bit longer now, we have been getting a little more creative! This week, we decided to go bowling at this sick bowling alley that has this unlimited deal anytime from 10 until 1 for about 10 bucks. So guess who spent three hours bowling so hard that he ripped his pants (hahaha). I didn't realize until we started throwing darts that there was an unfamiliar breeze, but that wasn't my first time so I knew what to do. The first time was about a year ago when we were playing screen baseball. These missionary clothes can't stop me!
There He Goes...Still 😢

On Tuesday there was a big training meeting that we had to be at; right after it ended we had to race to the airport to drop off my boy, Elder Choi! You might remember him. I just got done being his companion in Gokbanjeong and now he is headed off to the MTC in Provo! I am positive the Gokbanjeong MTC was more fun than the one in Provo will be: In 7 short weeks, Elder Choi got to put on whites two times! He had the sweetest mission training experience ever! But I can't lie and tell you that I didn't cry like those parents dropping their kids off at the MTC. It seemed like veryone else in the entire airport was calm and smiling as they said good-bye and I was just flipping in tears. I think I got a small taste of sending off a loved one might be like this past week. Really, I almost did feel like my little Korean son was leaving. I was sure grateful to be able to say goodbye to him one more time though. Hard.

On Thursday, I went on exchanges with a missionary who lives in a house where my former companion, Elder Altejar, is living. It was super fun being back with him for the first time in about 6 months. We still had a bunch of inside jokes and we shared a bunch of old fun memories. And actually that same night, we scheduled an appointment with a guy who I found once in another area but he had recently moved over to this ward and kind of stopped investigating. So I got to meet him for the first time in like 5 months or so and we actually ended up giving him a baptismal date. How cool! 

And then finally yesterday was Stake Conference. Out of the 5 areas I have served in on my mission, 4 of them are in the Stake I am in now. I got to see so many members that I used to know.

I absolutely love getting to see people that I had once known really well or that I used to spend a lot of time with. It makes me so happy and so grateful for those people that God gives to us. As a missionary, I literally feel like every person I have met was for a reason. And I think that truly does apply to all of us. There is always something to learn from or something to give to another. That reminds me of one of my favorite scriptures:

Proverbs 27:17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend

I am so grateful for people!!! And I really came to understand how important they are to me this past week and the impact they have all made in my "sharpening."

I love you all, and am so grateful for you as well! You truly have all sharpened me.

Elder Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment